Coconut oil is probably one of my favorite things on this planet. When I first discovered it, I was startled by the fact it’s solid at room temperature and too afraid to try it. Now I love the taste and smell of it. I’ve realized that it’s not only great for cooking, but it’s also great for personal hygiene and natural beauty! Here are some of my favorite things to do with coconut oil.
- Getting rid of lice | I can personally attest to how great this works. When my family got lice (you can imagine how bad that was with 5 kids living in the house at the time), my mom found online that coconut oil works to kill lice overnight. Just warm up the oil in the microwave so it melts, then massage it into the roots of your hair, and leave it overnight. Just make sure to wash your hair thoroughly the next day!
- Hair mask | This is an added benefit to the previous one. Not only are you getting rid of your lice, but you’re also nourishing your hair! Coconut oil makes hair shinier, more moisturized, and stronger. Melt the oil in the microwave, apply from root to tip (or avoid the roots if you want), and leave for at least 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Makeup remover | This was one of my favorite ways to use coconut oil when I wore makeup regularly. It’s a natural alternative to store-bought makeup remover, and it works pretty well! It’s especially effective with waterproof makeup and eye makeup. It always left my eyes and face feeling so moisturized!
- Natural mouthwash | Coconut oil kills bacteria, so can help prevent bad breath and yellow teeth. Melt about a tablespoon in the microwave and swish for 30 seconds, then spit. It might take some time to get used to the taste, and it did for me, but now I love the taste of coconut oil.
- Treat common illnesses | Not only does coconut oil kill bacteria, but it’s antimicrobial, which means it kills microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi. When I’m sick, I love to add a few teaspoons to my soup, and it has never failed to shorten the length of my colds. I haven’t tried it with the flu, but I’m sure it would help for that as well. Of course, this is not a replacement for a prescription when you are very sick, but it helps.
- Promotes hair growth | I used coconut oil for a brief period of time on my eyelashes, and they became fuller and longer. I’ve now moved on to a different way to make my eyelashes longer, but this one still works! It also works for eyebrows if you would like fuller eyebrows.
- Vegan alternative for butter | Coconut oil and butter have very similar properties, so you can use coconut oil instead of butter in any baking recipe! I have done this before, and it tastes SO GOOD!! I love using coconut oil when I make banana bread. This is a one-for-one replacement, so no need to change the measurements!
- Shaving “cream” | I have not tried this one, but I have heard that coconut oil works great if you are out of shaving cream! Make sure to use a thin layer so that your razor doesn’t get clogged.
- Natural sunscreen | Coconut oil has natural sun protection properties. Dermatologists will always tell you to wear sunscreen daily, and this is a great way to moisturize your face/body and get some protection from the sun, too! I was shocked when I found out that coconut oil blocks 75% of the sun’s UV rays!
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil?